Squadrons

The Edge of the Spear Squadron

A new squadron is born
The "Tip of the Spear" Squadron was established in December 1948 with C-46 "Curtiss Commando" airplanes which were used by the "Aerial Transport" division. The airplanes transported equipment and supply from Ekron Airbase (today Tel-Nof Airbase) to the sieged "Negev", carried out bombings in attempt to free the south and took part in Operation "Ouvda" to conquer Um-Rashrash (today the city of Eilat) in March 1949. The squadron was dismantled in May 1949 and the airplanes were transferred to be used by "El-Al" national air company and the "Elephants" squadron.

The "F-15" Era
On June 15, 1982, during the temporary truce in the 1982 "First Lebanon War", the squadron was reestablished as a "F-15" Squadron (Baz Hebrew for Falcon). Throughout the war, the squadron's jets were responsible for downing 22 Syrian airplanes. On October 1, 1985, along with two of the F-15 sister squadrons, six F-15 from the squadron partook in operation "Wooden Leg" - The destruction of the PLO headquarters in Tunis. This was the longest attack sortie that was conducted by the IAF, 1,285 miles away from Israel. Multiple buildings were destroyed in the attack, dozens of terrorists were killed and many were injured.

On August 3, 1994, during the negotiations towards a peace treaty between Israel and Jordan, three F-15s led King Hussein of Jordan to the aerial space of Israel.

On September 4, 2003, the squadrons' jets and two F-15s from the "Knights of the Twin Tail" squadron flew in formation over Auschwitz
Extermination Camp.

At the end of the 1990's, the F-15 was upgraded. Today, the jet is going through additional upgrades and is expected to continue flying until 2025. The main goals of the upgrade are maintenance and changes in the structure of the jet in order to maintain its capabilities and enhance safety.